Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Hey, Nice (Clothing) Rack


Hey everyone! I'm so excited to share this little project I worked on last week during my brief period of non-office working. 

In my house for the summer, I didn't have a closet. I didn't know what I was going to do, because  a lot of my clothes are ones that should be hung up. My mom says to me, "You know, I have this old clothing rack downstairs in the basement. If you help me clean all the old jackets off of it, you may have it." Who can say no to a deal like that?! (Also, besides 20 year old jackets there was also a bunch of my mom's old clothes from high school like this dress. I swear, I was like a little kid on Christmas morning.) 

Now, the rack was in okay shape. A little shake-y and rusty at the bottom. My mom said, "Laura, you should paint it!" So, my sister-in-law gave me the left over materials that she used to paint my niece's bed and  I now have a lovely orchid colored clothing rack, that is looking lovely in my dorm room, I might add. 








First, I put the rack on a tarp because I didn't want to kill the grass. I used a wire brush and sandpaper - 150 grit, I believe (see Dad, I know things) to get a majority of the rust off the bottom. 

Then I sprayed it all over with Rust Off Primer. Then I went and watched 2 episodes of The Big Bang Theory, because that would be an hour to let the primer dry. (Bazinga! - sorry had to - if you don't understand watch this. So hilarious) 

Then, after I was done watching Sheldon's antics I went out and painted the rack with American Accent spray paint in orchid. I let it dry for a little more and presto- I now have a lovely, rust-free clothing rack, perfect for holding my dresses! 

The swimsuit is being sold at my Etsy shop! Check it out. 



Why must cats always photo-bomb my pictures? 






Have a kick butt day everyone! 

xoxo, 

Laura

P.S. Thanks to Miss Lauren for directing me to the amazingness that is Pic Monkey


12 comments:

Christina said...

That is so cute! I love transforming pieces that I already own into something new.

Callie - Coffee and Cardigans said...

This is such a fun DIY! The bright color is great and I bet it will be a fun piece to add to your room. Great way to update an old item - I'll have to keep this in mind!

Callie
www.coffeeandcardigans.com

Bud Wilson said...

Looks great! I ran out and did this to mine as soon as I read it. It's the simple things like a coat of paint. Thanks for the inspiration!

Magical Daydream said...

Nice transformation, I love what a little spray paint can do!

x

Marielle

Ester DurĂ£es said...

this is such a lovely DIY, thanks for sharing! :)

Drawing Dreaming

Rachel @ Making Life Fabulous said...

Such a cute re-make! I love anything pink :)

Kailey said...

Ahh I absolutely love the color paint you used! Wonderful job :D

Seeking Style said...

Cute! I've always wanted a clothing rack for my clothes!

xo Jennifer

http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

Ali Berger said...

What a FANTASTIC idea!! I love your blog! Can't wait to check back for more projects and fun inspiration!

Ali B.

www.sanfranciscoblonde.com

Katherine said...

that's such a cute idea! i love the pink

<3 katherine
of corgis and cocktails // current giveaway

Amy said...

cute idea, ive been looking for a rack like this!
http://coffeebeansandbobbypins.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Love this DIY project! If you get a sec, I would love to hear your thoughts on my latest post. xo

www.daisyraeboutique.com
www.kacieskloset.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Seeing them always put a smile on my face.
Be sure to link your blog and I'll be sure to check it out!

If you have any questions, you can always email me at laurasthriftingthroughlife@gmail.com

xoxo,
Laura