Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Guest Post: Parasols, Please!

Hey guys!  I'm Mel Margaret of Parasols, Please! and one of Laura's close thrifty friends!

I very much love vintage clothing and accessories like Laura, and I am an avid up-cycler of all-things that strike me as could-be fancy.

Two years ago I came up with an idea to make jewelry boxes out of old books.  I had made a hollow book box for my sister the year before, and although it was pretty hard to do, I was up for a challenge when I got the chance to fulfill this dream in my Art of Bookmaking course at Juniata last spring.  I had to glue and saw on the bandsaw for days!  It was worth it though.

There are four books that make a set for these jewelry boxes, however, they each have their own hidden compartments and could easily be separate pieces.  I recently took these pictures with the help of my friend Paul for a portfolio.  Each book is still partial a book because there are loose pages.  This made it a lot harder to make the walls for the drawers, but I really like that they can open as books as well.

Enjoy!

The whole set!


Gone With the Wind - book drawers

 Sea Patrol - hidden compartment and tray

The Planter of the Tree - book drawers

Nineteen Stars - book drawer and hidden compartment


~M. Margaret

3 comments:

EvaMae said...

The drawers are too cool!

Bud Wilson said...

Love these! I've made a few hollowed out books, but nothing this amazing.

M. Margaret said...

Thank you both for the compliments!!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Seeing them always put a smile on my face.
Be sure to link your blog and I'll be sure to check it out!

If you have any questions, you can always email me at laurasthriftingthroughlife@gmail.com

xoxo,
Laura