Monday, April 9, 2012

Easter Festivities: A Season of Hope


Hey all! Hope that everyone had an amazing holiday! Sorry about the lack of posting; whenever I head home, I never seem to get in some posts. Usually, because I'm running around doing all sorts of things, such as seeing friends and family, church activities, and of course, thrifting. 

This is what I wore for church on Easter Sunday. Another reason that I don't really like posting at home is because I despise my camera. I'm so lucky to have a wonderful roommate who will take my outfit photos with her beautiful Nikon. When I'm at home, I must use my point and shoot. These didn't turn out too  bad, but it just took a long time to edit. I really need to get a new camera soon. 


 A little funny story about my belt: I had forgotten to take a belt home that really matched my dress. I had grabbed blue, red, and black, all which did not go with my vintage 1950's dress. Then I remember that I had gotten this pink belt at a thrift store really cheap (like 10 cents) because it was broken. I was hoping to fix it at some point (aka it has been sitting in my room, untouched since then). I didn't have time to find a buckle, so my mom and I put our brains together to make it work. We first tried a safety pin, but that kept coming undone because of the elastic. Then I suggested a bagger tagger. (I know that is a weird name for what most people call a twisty tie , but that is what my family has called it forever.) Anyway, I put my sweater over the top and it stayed all through church! Success! 

This is my beautiful 8 year old niece, Lily. :) 

And this is my wonderful older sister, Melissa! 


My mom made me a bunny cake to celebrate my birthday a little early. She has been making these for a long time, since my birthday is usually around Easter. 


And this beautiful lady is my Granny, the same one who made this shirt. The flowers that she is holding are very special flowers: my grandma's wonderful farm house, where my mom grew up, was destroyed in flooding this past fall. There was probably about 4 feet of water in her first floor. Thankfully, she got out way before the water reached her house. 

Anyway, she and my family are starting the process of going through things on the second floor.  My mom, sister, and I stopped on Saturday and I saw that these tulips had bloomed! My sister and I were floored, not   imaging that the bulbs would make it through so much rushing water. I decided that we need to pick the tulips for an Easter surprise for my grandma. 



My grandma, along with my aunt and uncle, moved into a new place and she is so happy.
These are more than just pretty flowers; they are a symbol of how sometimes, no matter how bleak it may seem, good things will still appear. These flowers are a symbol of hope and new beginnings.  


xoxo,

Laura

Dress - Thrifted - Sears brand, probably from the 50's/60's 
Sweater - Thrifted 
Belt - Thrifted (w/ some quick alterations)
Necklace - Borrowed from my mom 
Shoes - Hand-me-downs from my sister - Charlotte Russe 

12 comments:

Buttons Apart said...

Pretty pink outfit, you and your sister look very much alike!

Unknown said...

Love the picture of Granny and her flowers! :)

Jan said...

Great pictures! Your niece is very pretty :)

xo,
janmloves.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Cute dress and it looks so pretty on you! Love the cake <3 :)

TheTinyHeart said...

That pink dress is so pretty on you! Love the hot pink belt...so glad you were able to "fix" the clasp. Your granny is too cute :)

-Sharon
The Tiny Heart

Mandy said...

Love your blog Laura!! You look so cute in your Easter dress! And I love all the pictures and stories you shared! You're Granny is so sweet!

Little Tree Vintage said...

what a nice color for spring! hope you had a happy easter!

Emily said...

Fun springy dress ;)
Creamy

Erin @ Currently Coveting said...

You look so lovely in that pink dress! I want one! And that cake is the cutest thing, great post Laura!

XO,
Erin
http://erinscurrentlycoveting.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Your look so fabulous girl!!!

Marisa Noelle said...

Those tulips! I wish I had some in my front yard:) Your Easter Sunday dress is pink perfection Laura! I love how you contrasted it with the darker pink belt...so clever. That bunny bday cake..divine! Best birthday wishes darling gal! xx Marisa

chantilly said...

haha, twisty-tie! genius :) i really love the dress, though! xox

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Seeing them always put a smile on my face.
Be sure to link your blog and I'll be sure to check it out!

If you have any questions, you can always email me at laurasthriftingthroughlife@gmail.com

xoxo,
Laura